Skip to product information
1 of 3

Elvet Property Services

New Build EPC

Starting from:

Elvet Chartered Surveyors have a team of qualified and accredited On-Construction Domestic Energy Assessors who are able to produce Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) and SAP Calculations for new build dwellings and domestic conversions.

We have experience of working closely with architects, developers and private home owners to ensure compliance with Building Regulations - (Approved Document Part L1a - Conversion of Fuel and Power in New Dwellings).

Our building surveyors are able to provide friendly expert advice during the design stage to produce a Predictive Energy Assessment (PEA), which gives our clients confidence that the ‘as-built’ property will meet the minimum energy standards dictated by the government upon completion. This early dialogue allows for corrective measures to be incorporated within the design, which saves time, money and effort on site.

Similarly, we are accustomed to undertaking a value engineering exercise which entails running various scenarios within the SAP software by substituting various materials and measuring the impact on the thermal efficiency, cost and overall energy performance. This methodology protects the client from overpaying for products and materials, which are over-specified within the design. 


How long does it take to complete an On-Construction EPC?

The time taken to lodge an On-Construction EPC will vary depending upon the number, size and complexity of the properties within the development. Initiating an early dialogue (pre-construction) will enable us to undertake a Predictive Energy Assessment (PEA) and advise on potential improvements to the specification in relation to the buildings Dwelling Emission Rate (DER) and Fabric Energy Efficiency (FEE).

The ensures that upon receiving confirmation that the building has been constructed ‘as designed’ the EPC can be quickly lodged and issued.

If you urgently require an EPC please get in touch with us to discuss your requirements.

Who can produce a 'New Build' On-Construction EPC?

Only qualified and accredited On-Construction Domestic Energy Assessor's (OCDEA) can lodge an EPC for a newly constructed dwelling.

Have I chosen the correct EPC (OCDEA, DEA & NDEA)?

Newly constructed dwellings require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), which can only be produced by an accredited ‘On-Construction Domestic Energy Assessor (OCDEA). The assessor will calculate the energy and thermal efficiency of the dwelling using the governments full Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) prior to lodging the EPC.

Conversely, an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA) can lodge the EPC if the property is an existing dwelling. This is a less onerous exercise and the assessor must use a reduced version of the Standard Assessment Procedure commonly referred to as RdSAP to calculate the rating which will appear on your EPC.

Finally, where individual rooms in a property are to be let with shared facilities (e.g. kitchen and/ or bathroom), the communal areas may require a non-domestic energy performance certificate (NDEA). This is calculated using the governments ‘Simplified Building Energy Model’, which is more commonly referred to as SBEM.

If you are still unsure which type of EPC is right for your property, please use our online enquiry form and a we will aim to get back to you within 24-hours.

Who is responsible for a New-Build (On-Construction) EPC?

Regulation 7A of the Energy Performance of Buildings (England & Wales) Regulations 2012 requires that when a new dwelling is erected, the person carrying out the work must provide an EPC to the owner of the building and notice to the building control body (BCB) that a certificate has been given, including the reference number under which the certificate has been registered.

How long is an EPC valid for?

All EPCs are valid for 10 years.

Why do I need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

It is a legal requirement that all existing domestic dwellings in the UK have a valid EPC before they can be sold or let.

In April 2018, Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards made it a legal requirement for all privately-owned properties to have an EPC rating of at least an 'E' before they are sold or let. The legislation applied to both domestic and commercial properties, although there are some exemptions. If a property is a listed building, for example. Those who fail to make the necessary changes will be subject to the appropriate fines: up to £5,000 for domestic dwellings.

Achieving an EPC which illustrates a reduced environmental impact and fuel bill savings can provide a more marketable proposition to potential buyers and can increase the sale value.

What information is required to complete a New-Build EPC?

The following information is generally required to produce a new-build EPC:

• Site address and postcode
• Site plan to include orientation of the dwelling(s)
• Plans for each storey
• Sectional drawings of the dwelling
• A written specification, which must include:
- Details of the principle heating and hot water system
- Details of any secondary heating system
- Details of the ventilation systems
- Details of the internal and external lighting
- Details of the construction of all different floors to the property
- Details of the construction of all external walls
- Details of the construction of all roofs
- Details of the external doors and windows
- Details of any renewable technology to be used.

Our qualified Energy Assessors will review the information received to identify any queries.

Do you need to visit the property?

No. An On-Construction Domestic Energy Assessment is typically undertaken as a desktop exercise using information submitted to us by the client, e.g. architectural drawings and specification etc. In the event that the client is unable to provide all of the relevant information we can arrange for a surveyor to undertake a site inspection in an attempt to collate any outstanding evidence; however, this practice is uncommon and the client may therefore incur additional fees and expenses subject to agreement.

What is a u-value calculation?

Main building elements (e.g. external walls, roof and floors) are generally constructed using a range of materials commonly referred to as components or layers. The u-value calculation measures the cumulative heat loss or insulating properties associated with the components, which form a building element (e.g. Plaster, bricks, insulation, blockwork and wall ties etc.). The lower the u-value, the better insulated the element is deemed to be. Elvet Property Services use accredited software to undertake u-value calculations, which uses the unit of measure W/m2K (Watts per square metre degree Kelvin).

Building Regulations (Approved Document Part L1A) imposes minimum u-values for main building elements, which must be achieved to demonstrate compliance. Our surveyors can run the calculations for each main building element, whilst substituting various materials (layers) within the specification to evidence their impact upon the u-value. This practice ensures that Building Regulations compliance can be evidenced and achieved by adopting the most cost-effective means.

What is a SAP calculation?

SAP (Standard Assessment Procedure) is the methodology approved by the government to calculate the energy performance of new-build dwellings.

Do I need an EPC for a new extension?

Extensions are typically designed using elemental u-value calculations (roof, walls, floors, windows and doors) to evidence compliance with Building Regulations (Approved Document – L1B – Conversion of Fuel and Power in existing dwelling). Conversely, where the extension is deemed to have excessive glazing, accounting for more than 25% of the total extension floor area, a SAP calculation will be required to evidence that ‘reasonable provision’ has been undertaken to comply with the regulations. Similarly, production of a SAP calculation will allow the client to demonstrate that the dwelling emission rate of the existing dwelling is not adversely affected by the introduction of a notional extension.

To confirm the requirements of your project please get in touch with Elvet Chartered Surveyors and/or your Local Authority; Building Control department.