Skip to product information
1 of 3

Home Condition Report

Regular price £240.00 GBP
Regular price Sale price £240.00 GBP
Sale Sold out
Tax included.

Please note, final prices may be subject to change

When buying any home it is important to know which level of survey you need to allow you to be as informed as possible about any problems or risks before you commit to buying. The RICS has three levels of different surveys, all of which Elvet Chartered Surveyors can offer as RICS Accredited Surveyors. Reliable and cost effective, these reports carry the full weight of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors – the industry’s most respected authority on surveying.

The Home Condition Report is a Level 1 RICS report and the most basic of the reports for if you’re buying or selling a conventional house, flat or bungalow built from common building materials and in reasonable condition. The survey is a visual only check of the property. it is brief and provides an assessment of the relative importance of the defects and problems. It focuses purely on the condition of the property by setting out the following:

  • a clear ‘traffic light’ ratings of the condition of different parts of the building, services, garage and outbuildings, showing problems that may require varying degrees of attention;
  • a summary of the risks to the condition of the building;
  • recommendations on any further surveys or investigations that you may wish to undertake before proceeding; and
  • advice on replacement parts guarantees, planning and control matters for your legal advisers.

A RICS Condition Report is straightforward and does not include a valuation, but can be included as a separate extra service.

All surveys are priced based on the size and type of property, as well as your requirements. Please contact us for a quotation. 


What are the common issues on a Home Conditions Report?

It is normal to find issues within a property over 50 years old. Common issues include:

• Asbestos - an asbestos specialist will need to be contacted in order to tackle the problem
• Structural movement - a structural engineer will be able to advise on how to tackle the problem
• Damp - there are steps that can be taken to prevent damp, but in cases where damp has already caused damage then a damp specialist can carry out a deeper analysis
• Japanese Knotweed - if this has been identified, then specialist help will be required immediately. A specialist will be able to offer a further investigation and will be able to offer informed advice on the potential damage/actual damage it has had on the property
• Electrical issues - electrical issues can be small and unconcerning, or urgent. Should this be the case, an electrician will be able to advise on what needs to be done to remedy the issues
• Woodworm - this is mainly an issue in properties with timber structures, such as period homes or barn conversions. As long as the issue is caught, the process to rectify the situation can be quick and simple. If the Home Conditions Report highlights this, a timber treatment specialist should be contacted as a matter of urgency in order to prevent it spreading further.